In order to boot Armbian from VIM3 with pre-flashed OS on eMMC you need to:
- Download Khadas Rescue tool for VIM3 and flash it to a spare SD card
- Insert SD card, attach USB keyboard + monitor or a serial console and boot into Khadas Rescue Tool
- Choose: Advanced -> eMMC -> Fast erase. Go back and select “power off”
Now you can boot Armbian from SD card and install to eMMC the standard way.
Other supported variants
|User space||Interface||EU||USA||Asia||Torrent||Kernel||Integrity||Size||Release date|
|Bullseye||CLI||5.19.y||SHA||ASC||439M||Nov 30, 2022|
|Bullseye||Minimal CLI||5.19.y||SHA||ASC||302M||Nov 30, 2022|
|Jammy||Cinnamon desktop||5.19.y||SHA||ASC||1333M||Nov 30, 2022|
|Jammy||Gnome desktop||5.19.y||SHA||ASC||1384M||Nov 30, 2022|
|Jammy||Minimal CLI||5.19.y||SHA||ASC||303M||Nov 30, 2022|
|* Looking for different or custom variant? Use Armbian build framework!|
* Specifications differ from hardware revision, model and software support level
BASH or ZSH shell, standard Debian/Ubuntu utilities. Features can be adjusted with menu-driven utility. Login is possible via serial, HDMI or SSH.
Minimal, server or Desktop. We work with XFCE, Gnome and Cinnamon but more is possible to build: Mate, KDE, Budgie, Deepin, i3, …
No bloatware or spyware. Special utilities are completely optional. Suitable for newcomers and professionals.
Distributed images are optimized for flash media (SD/eMMC/SSD) and compacted to real data size.
Armbian is optimized on kernel and userspace level. ZRAM & ZSWAP support, browser profile memory caching, garbage commit delay.
Security level can be adjusted with the armbian-config. OS is reviewed by professionals within the community.
Maintainers and community have deep understanding how HW work. We are seniors with 30+ years of experience in Linux + embedded Linux.
Armbian provides open source build framework to build a distribution of optimised Linux hardware interface for armhf, aarch64 and x86.
We provide a selection of images that fits hardware best. If you need different image – use build framework and make whatever you need. Build framework relies on Debian and Ubuntu packages – you can build any combination – stable, old stable or rolling release.
Make sure you have a good & reliable boot media (SD card / USB key) and a proper power supply. Archives can be flashed with Etcher (all OS) directly.
Insert the SD card into the slot, connect a cable to your network if possible or a display and power your board. (First) boot (with DHCP) takes a bit longer.
Support is provided in one of two ways:
- Free support is provided via general project search engine, documentation, community forums or IRC/Discord. Keep in mind this is mostly provided by our awesome community members in a best effort manner and therefore there are no guaranteed solutions.
- For commercial or prioritised assistance:
Rolling weekly releases
|User space||Kernel||Integrity||Size||Release date|
|Lunar CLI||rolling||6.2.0||SHA||ASC||493M||Jan 29, 2023|
|Lunar minimal||rolling||6.2.0||SHA||ASC||453M||Jan 30, 2023|
|Lunar XFCE desktop||rolling||6.2.0||SHA||ASC||1362M||Jan 30, 2023|
|Sid CLI||rolling||6.2.0||SHA||ASC||577M||Jan 29, 2023|
|Sid minimal||rolling||6.2.0||SHA||ASC||469M||Jan 30, 2023|
|Sid XFCE desktop||rolling||6.2.0||SHA||ASC||1298M||Jan 29, 2023|
- Debian testing or Arch - Manjaro support quality level
- Untested automated builds for power users that are able to fix problems on their own
- Images are receiving updates when master branch changes